Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Rite

Director: Mikael Hafstrom

Rated: PG-13

Warner Bros Pictures: May 17, 2011

114 Minutes
From Amazon:
Inspired by true events, this supernatural thriller follows a seminary student (Colin O’Donoghue) sent to study exorcism at the Vatican in spite of his own doubts about the controversial practice and even his own faith. Only when sent to apprentice with legendary Father Lucas (Anthony Hopkins), who has performed thousand of exorcisms, does his armor of skepticism begin to fall. Drawn into a troubling case that transcends even Father Lucas’s skill, the young seminarian glimpses a phenomenon science can’t explain or control – and an evil so violent and terrifying that it forces him to question everything he believes.

I'm not really sure where to start with this review. 'The Rite' was a little slow for me at times. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I found myself distracted by my cat while watching the movie at certain times. It was slow to get going. However, Anthony Hopkins delivered a stunning performance in 'The Rite'  as Father Lucas. The acting, all around, phenomenal. I loved the scenes where there were exorcism. It seemed more realistic than 'The Exorcist' type of events.

'The Rite' is the story of Michael Kovak, he is confused about where his allegiance lies. Does he believe in god or not? He goes to school to study to become a priest. When he reaches the end of his 4 years study, he tries to quit but is talked into going to Rome to study at the Vatican as an exorcist. Going in there with disbelief, he quickly finds more than he bargained for. You can watch his slow transition from non-believer to believing.

'The Rite' wasn't really what I expected. I was thinking more paranormal, objects floating around, people being killed by possessed psycho paths. That's not what this movie was like. It was very mild for an exorcist movie but still stunning. Like I said earlier, Anthony Hopkins is an amazing actor and he really delivered for his role as Father Lucas. Good movie, it's definitely worth checking out.

My Rating: 4/5

Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment