Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chain Letter

Director: Deon Taylor

Rated: Not Rated

Image Entertainment: February 1st, 2011

89 Minutes
From Amazon:
Six high school friends are bound together again by a sinister chain letter passing into their lives through e-mails and text messages. If the deadly letter isn’t passed on, the recipient faces a grisly, unexpected death – and nothing can stop it. As time runs out and the deadly letter’s rules become more challenging, the survivors must untangle the chilling secret – or die trying. Featuring Nikki Reed (The Twilight Saga), Betsy Russell (the Saw series), and Michael J. Pagan (CSI: Miami), this terrifying thriller in the tradition of The Grudge and Final Destination proves death is always watching and waiting – and anyone could be next!

I saw a preview for this movie a long time ago and was going to watch it but I never did. Then I saw it again the other night on my Netflix queue so I figured I'd check it out. It has Nikki Reed in it and I like her from some earlier, non Twilight related roles. It also has Betsy Russell from the Saw series. Anyways, although I like Nikki Reed and I like movies that most people hate, that didn't work here. This movie is basically a teen slasher. But...not a good one. Some of the acting was good, some not so much. It kind of reminded me of Pulse except about superstitious teens...who clearly aren't teens....

This movie is about some random person who HATES technology. And, because he hates technology, he decides to send out an internet chain letter. Something about a link in the chain, every link is a life. Basically, send it or die. Some people do, some don't. Then this deformed looking man shows up, with chain tattoos on his arms, and starts killing the people who don't send it. Let me clarify a few things. First, this individual hates technology, yeah, that's why he knows how to send emails, he knows how to track them, he knows how to use a virus and put it on peoples cell phones thus enabling him to be able to track the activity regarding said chain letter. Oh, he also knows how to hack someones computer and watch their webcam. Anyways, so he kills a bunch of people because they didn't forward his stupid chain letter and he's part of some "Anti-technology" group. Make sense?

At any rate, I held a higher hope for this movie then what I got. While some of the acting was good and some was decent, the story line kind of sucked. And it was full of gaps and things just didn't add up. For instance, the killer who hates technology, is part of an anti-tecnology group who doesn't use cell phones or computers or anything. But he knows how to hack things and do this and that on them. It doesn't quite add up for me. Also, a lot of these "teens" are killed in their houses. Where are their parents? Because, they are home but can't hear their kids screaming and dieing in a room down the hall? I don't get it. Anyways, I guess that was an ok movie if you're into that kind of thing. And the acting wasn't too bad. If you are bored, check it out, otherwise, I'd hold out for something a little better.

My Rating: 3/5
Ginger


1 comment:

  1. HBA Welcome Wagon...
    Wanted to let you know, you part of the Alliance.
    Please stop by and check to make sure your link is correct.
    Remember to say Thank You and visit the other HBA Members.

    Jeremy [iZombie]
    http://horrorbloggeralliance.blogspot.com/
    HBA Staff

    ReplyDelete