Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Devil Inside

Director: William Brent Bell

Rated R  83 Mins.

January 6, 2012 (Canadian theatres)

From IMDb: In Italy, a woman becomes involved in a series of unauthorized exorcisms during her mission to discover what happened to her mother, who allegedly murdered three people during her own exorcism.

"No Soul Is Safe" is the tagline given for this new movie. I have been a fan of these types of movies ever since seeing The Exorcist when I was 14 years old. Over the years, there have been numerous movies based on the subject of possession and satanism.

What makes this one different? Well, it's filmed in the sense of being a documentary. A lot of "behind the camera" angles make up the majority of the film. I first saw the preview Christmas Eve actually, and knew I had to see this movie. I went last weekend to see it and despite the length of the movie and the near empty theatre, I enjoyed it.

Since this is a movie, still in theatres, I will refrain from giving too many details or key parts in it. I will say, the movie starts off on a high note, suspenseful and even giving you a tiny jump in your seat. My friend who went with me, said she found it very slow at first; however, I found it was paced well for the theme of the movie.

In a nutshell, the main character is on the hunt to locate her mother who was moved to Italy. She is "documenting" everything, so you are behind the camera lens interviewing people and seeing the action unfold. With a few little twists, the main character is then thrown into the full blow action of a real exorcism. The effects are without large amounts of blood, guts and gore and replaced with gruesome, bone cracking positions of the sick.

The movie progresses fairly quick after the exorcism scene. I also found the 83 minutes went fairly quick. Fast forward to the end of the movie, and, you are still left with many answers. I have read reviews stating that the ending upset people, and I witnessed a few guys in my theatre angered by the ending. Before the credits roll, a website address is flashed on the screen, encouraging people to check it out and continue the search for answers.

Overall, I would have to say, it was entertaining. Not the best horror movie out there, but I really don't think that is what the director was going for. It did remind me of movies like Quarantine and The Blair Witch Project (not storyline, but the way the movie was made).

If you are looking for a movie that could open you up to believing that possession could happen, this would be a good choice. I am going to rate this an 4/5.


Bidding you bloody nightmares,
Nyx

1 comment: