Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grave Encounters

Director: The Viscous Brothers

Rated: Not Rated

New Video Group: October 18, 2011

93 Minutes
From Amazon: Ghost Hunters meets Paranormal Activity in this horror film about a team of paranormal investigators spending the night locked inside an abandoned asylum.

When I first heard about Grave Encounters and saw the previews I expected it to be a complete pile of dog crap. I thought it was going to be corny as hell and a complete waste of time. When I watch a movie I can usually tell within the first 5 minutes if I'm going to like it or not and what type of movie it will be. I didn't get that with Grave Encounters. I think that maybe because my expectations were so low for it that it seemed WAY better than I imagined. At first it comes off as a little corny and, I won't lie, I was a little annoyed that they so blatantly ripped off Ghost Adventures but took Aaron out (BOO!). I mean, there are a TON of similarities. It's in total GA style so, chances are if you like GA then you just might like Grave Encounters.

The movie starts off with this guy who is talking about this show Grave Encounters and that these films haven't been edited in any way except to cut out some time so they could fit 76 hours of footage into a movie. Then the movie starts with this guy (who looks like Zak Bagans) who does an intro for the show and how they are going to do a lock down inside this haunted mental institute for 8 hours. Then they do some interviews and a walk through complete with duct tapes (GA style). They set up cameras around the facility and set up an area for their "tech guy" to work from monitoring things. Then they get locked in and begin their investigation and things just get better from there on out...pretty much.

I won't lie, there are some corny parts in there but the film quickly picks up and by the end, you'll love it. The corny bits in the beginning won't even matter. The only reason I am bringing that up so much is because most people will see the corny stuff at the beginning and think "This movie sucks already!" and shut it off, well don't! It actually gets good by the end with a few good scares and some decent effects in there. Definitely check out Grave Encounters, I'm sure you'll like it and if not, at least you probably jumped a couple times.

My Rating: 4/5
Ginger

3 comments:

  1. I agree with every word you said. I saw this one day on a cable channel but I missed the 1st half hour. I decided after watching what I caught to order it from Netflix. Seeing the 1st half really didn't matter and I probably would have changed the channel had I turned it on from the beginning. But when the good stuff starts happening it really wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that the book zombie housewives of the apocalypse has been released in print on Amazon and that your blog was mentioned in the resources section of the book as a zombie blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Adsila for letting us know. That is such an honour. :)) ~nyx

    ReplyDelete